Many Uses of Lavender
- Lavender is one the few essential oils to still be listed in the British Pharmacoopoeia for it's ability to promote tissue regeneration and speed would healing of burns.
- Lavender oil is the most vertsatile of essential oils, with a great many properties including sedative, anti-depressant, antiseptic, anti-bacterial, anit-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsive, and painkilling to benefit the body, mind and emotions.
- Lavender, when applied to both sides of the nostrils will help to induce sleep.
- Lavender relieves headaches when massaged on to your temples.
- Our lavender is used in cooking, we make our own lavender.
- Bunches of lavedener can ward off insects.
- Infusions of fresh flowers make a fragrant hair rinse.
- Lavender stimulates the growth of new skin.
- The lavender plant is beautifully placed in english garderns and in borders. Grow it against a sunny wall close to the house, or as a lavender walk on either side of a path. The flowers are very attractive to honey bees.
- Using a drop of lavender essential oil to small picece of tissue can be picked up by your vacuum cleaner, freshening the air while you work.
- Upon arrival at a hotel, spray the room and bed with lavender as a great disinfectant.
The combination of compounds that make up lavender contribut to its legendary healing powers.
Alcohol - Lavender oil contains up to 50 percent of the alcohol linalol. Linalol helps to kill bacteria and viruses. It also helps to heal burns, wounds and sores.
Ketones - Ketones are compoundes that help to relieve pain, build new skin tissues and reduce inflammation. They also have a sleep induing effect. Ketones can be toxic , so lavender that contains an amount about 35 percent should be avoided. Diabetics, epileptics and pregnant women should avoid them completetly.
Esters - Esters are compounds that ease swelling and soreness, prevent muscles spasms, fight fungal infections and prevent scarring. They also help to regualate your moods, preventing you from experienceing depression and hysteria.